We’re proud of what we’ve accomplished together!
Eight people took a risk on working together, to collaborate and lead. That's how we got started, and over almost three decades, it's been that tech industry spirit of collaboration and ‘roll-up-your-sleeves action’ that's gotten us collectively to where we are today. To all of our members, volunteers and partners, past and present: Thank you for supporting us. Because of you, our group has impacted change and enabled tech industry growth.
Here’s a timeline of our accomplishments and milestones as a community:
- Our community was founded in 1992, when a handful of HR professionals in BC tech companies came together to form what was called the Compensation Exchange Group.
- In 1994 we launched the BC Tech Salary Survey.
- Four years after our formation, 35 companies were part of our group and we changed our name to the “High Tech Exchange Group” to better reflect our expanded mandate of sharing progressive HR practices.
- In 1998 we were 45 companies and we were advocating for the tech industry in BC.
- In 2000 we created the BC Employment Standards Act definition for “High Tech Professional”.
- In 2002 we held our 1stTech Talent Conference and we launched our Group Benefits Buying Plan.
- By 2006 we became an association named “HR Tech Group”.
- By 2015 we were 130 companies strong and we launched a recruitment campaign with the BC Government.
- In 2017 we produced a report on diversity and inclusion in the BC Tech Sector and held our 7th Tech Talent Conference.
- In 2019 we launched the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Tech Project to increase the attraction, retention and advancement of under-represented groups in skilled occupations in BC's tech sector.
- In 2020 we expanded our support to Alberta’s tech sector and welcomed our first Alberta members. We also launched our first Diversity in Tech Dashboard, measuring the diversity of BC's tech sector.
- By 2021 we began welcoming members from across Canada and we grew to a community of 700+ professionals at 225 member companies.
- In 2022 we evolved our name to "Tech and People Network" and we will be hosting our 10th anniversary conference in both Vancouver, BC (Tech Talent North -Western Edition) and for the first time, in Toronto, ON (Tech Talent North -Eastern Edition).
What will the future hold? Whatever it holds, we look forward to collaborating, learning and sharing data to support Canadian tech communities.